Unsuitable storage locations can reduce the longevity and performance of oil, lubricant and grease products for a host of Mobil aviation distributors, or MRO providers and MRO suppliers; within the MRO and aviation industry. Common causes of incorrect storage and usage, especially in-doors, can lead to devastating implications leading to contamination, waste and deterioration.
At Moove Aviation we have storage bases in France and Spain with the Headquarter facility located within Kent, in the United Kingdom, and apply first rate tips to sustain the shelf life of our products as an authorised Mobil aviation distributor; to avoid contamination, deterioration and wastage.
Our steps include, but are not exclusive to, the below recommendations.
Contamination can have a detrimental effect on your oil, lubricant and greases that can be caused by a variety of reasons.
1. Avoiding mixing together different brands or types of product, which can be a common cause of contamination
2. Always ensure that testing equipment is dry and clean before performing such tests. Transfer and dispensing equipment can contaminate products if pre-used or not cleaned correctly. It is advised to filter the product during any transfers, if it is possible to do so
3. Storing products in unlabelled or ambiguously named containers can lead to contamination or mis-selling of products, this can also make any inventory management system hard to manage
4. Elements such as Oxygen can expose products and promote moisture absorption from the air, leading to hydrolysis, this in turn contaminates products such as; HyJet V and HyJet IV-A. The recommendation is to keep all containers sealed whilst in storage to limit air exposure
5. Much like avoiding contamination of Oxygen within the air, in-door storage conditions should also be free of other external sources of contamination such as dust, humidity and foreign fluids
6. Sufficient containment systems should be implemented to contain and expel water
7. Storage temperatures will be displayed upon the products packaging from the manufacturer, it is advised to check the recommended temperature range advised
8. Ensure proper signage is promoted within the storage area, to prevent smoking, warning for slippery surfaces and danger of hazardous materials.
Inventory management can sustain products shelf life and avoid deterioration.
1. Containers of limited fluid content, once opened can age at a quicker rate than those unopened and full, promoting deterioration
2. Product data sheets (PDS’s) will guide the products maximum temperature, failure to do so will lead to deterioration of the material
3. The manufacturer will also advise upon best practises for the minimum range the material should be contained at, these are recommended to maintain optimal temperatures
4. Inventory management can help to assign products to separate areas of the storage unit to utilise old stock ahead of new stock and in turn prevent deterioration and/or wastage prior to use.
With large levels of stock, it can be difficult to keep track of inventory. However, Moove Aviation recommends the below tips to prevent oil, grease and lubrication wastage.
1. Level flooring and oil-resistant materials used for the flooring of indoor storage facilities help prevent wastage
2. Ensuring that adequate shelving units are set-up correctly, are stable and sustainable for the life of the products helps to ensure the products are protected within storage
3. Cartridges will be sufficiently equipped with the correct storage instructions affixed to the packaging, to which it is widely recommended to store in an upright position to avoid leaks and subsequent wastage
4. Drums however are to be stored differently, and typically stored on their sides
5. Easy access to the storage facility and products must be kept at front of mind. When installing any indoor storage unit, amble room within the gangways must be a key consideration and will facilitate easy on and off-loading for moveable machinery, such as trollies and forklifts
6. Safeguard the indoor storage facility to secure and lock away the inventory for security purposes.
For more information about how we look after our storage facilities or to speak to an expert in more depth, contact us via our email address; email@example.com, or by completing our short ‘Contact us’ form here.
Moove Lubricants is an Authorised ExxonMobil Aviation Lubricants distributor in Europe. Moove operates extensively throughout South America, Europe and Asia; representing Mobil products in the automotive, industrial, marine and aviation sectors.